When was self-storage invented?
Self-storage was first pioneered, like many things, in the United States. In the 1960s the first self-storage facility opened in Odessa, Texas. Built on an industrial area where fishermen could store their boats and oil field equipment for quick access. The first UK self-storage facility instead opened in 1979, in central London.
What is self-storage and how does it work?
A self-storage facility is a place were individuals or businesses can deposit and store their belongings when they do not have the space to do so on their own property. Typically you rent a unit that is big enough to contain your belongings for whatever length of time you need it for.
If you need storage on a short term basis, for example, you could rent a storage room for 4 weeks (this is the normal minimum stay) and be in and out very quickly.
Or you could need self-storage on a longer-term basis – for example, if you lived in a nice but compact apartment and need a bit of extra room to store your things, but want them close to hand so you can get at them whenever you want.
Or you could be a local business that needs to store stock or season goods on an on-going basis or short term.
Basically, there are a thousand and one reasons to use self-storage but putting it simply a self-storage operator has the space you need for the time that you need it!
Why do people need it?
There are many reasons for which individuals and businesses decide to use self-storage. The bottom line is that they need extra space at a reasonable price.
Below are some common situations that require a flexible self-storage solution.
- To store home contents whilst it’s being redecorated – this means you can still live in the property whilst the work is done and save money by not having to move out.
- To store belongings whilst on a house buying ‘chain’ – this means you don’t lose out on your dream home.
- To store student items whilst away during the holidays – this means you do not need to drag all your things back home for the holidays.
- To store promotional goods for businesses – this means you are able to keep your offices clean, tidy and efficient.
- To store costumes for TV shows – with long opening hours we work around your demanding schedule.
Metro Storage has been offering its self-storage services to local central London residents and businesses for many years, so we have been used to store pretty much most things!
How much space will I need?
This depends on what you want to store of course, but we have developed this ‘walk-through’ video which will hopefully help you figure this out.
Have a go on the virtual tour of our store located in Islington, N1. Not only will you be able to see our store, but you will also be able to look inside various sized units to see how big they are to help you choose which one is the right one for you.
You could also check out our useful, interactive size guide.
Storing with Metro Storage – London’s Best All-inclusive Storage – is easy and quick.
Don’t forget the following benefits:
- Up to 50% off your first 8 weeks storage
- FREE insurance allocated to every unit
- Many different sizes to suit your needs
- Fully flexible – upgrade or downsize when you want
- Extensive opening hours 7 days a week
Call us for FREE on 0800 999 5881
At Metro Storage, we have been in the self-storage industry since 1998.
We hope we can look after you and your storage needs at either our store in Islington, N1, or our other central London store in Bayswater, W2.